It was already 6:15 and I was still sitting in front of my computer.

I should have been 5 miles into a 7 mile run.

I should have been 17 minutes from home.

Instead, I was staring at a computer screen writing a report for work, overwhelmed by the amount of projects I have and growing concerned about when I’m going to fit it all in.

The minutes crept by – “15 more minutes, and I’ll get out for my run,” I promised myself.

15 minutes passed and I started another work project.

OK, I’ll finish this one, and then I’ll go running.  If all goes well, I’ll be out the door by 7am.

7am comes and goes - I’m still working.

I can’t turn it off.  I can’t push away from the keyboard.

I can’t stop thinking about the 10 projects for work, the 2 freelance projects, the trip to Atlanta, the trip to Houston, a potential day trip to Hartford.

My mind is racing and I can feel the anxiety building.

“I’ve taken on too much.  I’m going to fail at everything.”

I can feel the breaking point approaching.  This isn’t going to be pretty.

Then out of no where, Colin, my three year old, comes into my office to see what I’m doing.

He’s surprised to see me.  When he went to bed last night I told him that I’d be running when he woke up.

He asks,  ”Hey Beeb (that’s what he calls me) why aren’t you running?”

I tell him that I’m busy with work stuff. 

“Oh,”  he says. “Well, when you’re done with your work stuff are you going to go for a run?”

I tell him that I really want to, but it’s not looking too good.

“I think you should go for a run and then make Mom coffee when you come back.”

I just look at him and smile.  He’s right.  Work can wait. 



As it turns out, the run was everything that I needed.  By the second mile I had mentally organized everything that I needed to get done for the next week.  I had decided that I’d work all morning on one project and the afternoon on a different project.

Most importantly, I decided to take Colin out for ice cream tonight for giving such great advice.